Friday, November 21, 2008

Don't Drink the Water - True or False?

Upon arriving to Veracruz, Mexico for the first time, we met a professor who was waiting to pass through customs along with my husband and myself. As we chatted briefly, I asked the pointed question that occupied my mind, "Do you have any advise on what we should be cautious of?". His main piece of advice was, "Don't drink the water, even ice cubes in your drinks. Ask only for bottled water."

I took that advice to heart and through that first 4 day trip, I was terrified of the sight of ice in my drink. We were meeting a friend we knew from Canada who was from a city called Cardel, just 30 km north of the city of Veracruz. When I mentioned this conversation, he scoffed and said we had nothing to worry about. I trusted my friend, but also knew he grew up here, so probably wouldn't have the same problems. When we ate at restaurants, they only offered bottled water -no problem.

The internal conflict arose when eating with friends. Our friend graciously introduced us to many of his friends and family, most of whom generously fed us. I did not want to insult them in any way, yet at each family meal, they served me a drink on ice. I would look at my drink, being very thirsty as the weather was beautiful and hot. I would see those ice cubes as potential enemies and wonder what I should do. Not only was I thirsty, but if I did not drink the juice, water or soda, then I would appear rude. How do I say, "I know the ice cubes and water are ok for you to drink, but I won't drink it, do you have anything bottled?

To add to my conundrum, some of these family members were living in humble surroundings. I didn't know to what extent they were giving just to feed us. So now I continue to get more and more thirsty just looking at the delicious drink before me. My husband, always more adventurous than I, goes ahead and partakes. Ok, now I will definitely look snobbish by refusing. I sip tentatively, to both just keep my thirst at bay and to appear to be a gracious guest.

I did not get sick that weekend, nor have I in the 4 months of living here. Why? I have come to learn a couple of reasons why. First, most native people in Mexico themselves drink bottled water. They use commercial ice cubes that have been filtered. Second, water quality can vary greatly from place to place. Most problems tourists and locals alike have with getting sick has to do with unwashed hands more so than the water or food itself.

So, finally, in answer to the question, "Should I drink the water?" I continue to follow the advice of the kind professor to drink bottled water. I am not however petrified by the site of ice in a beverage placed before me by some generous host. If you are visiting any area of Mexico as a tourist, any restaurant will serve you bottled water, "agua en una botella". You may get the question, "con gas?". They are actually referring to soda water. If you want regular bottled water, just respond,"sin gas". Most hotels provide bottled water in the room for your use.Our family does not use the tap water to drink or cook with, unless the water will be boiled extensively during the process. It is a precaution we use to ensure the health of our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment